A German firm, the Center for European Economic Research (ZEW), queries financial experts throughout Europe every month in order to make a medium-term forecast about Eurozone's economic situation. The results are calculation of the difference between positive and negative reviews.
There are two types of the indicator:
- ZEW Economic Expectations Index — this indicator is made up of assessments of expected events— the direction of inflation, interest rates and exchange rates over the next six months.
- Zew Current Situation — in contrast to the previous indicator, it assesses the current economic situation. Experts are invited to select one of the variants: "better", "worse" or "unchanged." The final figure is the difference between positive and negative rates.
High figures indicate a positive economic environment and good business climate in the Eurozone.
- Release Frequency: monthly.
- Release Schedule: 09:00 GMT, the first half of the month.
- Source: Center for European Economic Research.