Current Account is the most important part of the Balance of Payments. It consists of:
- trade balance for goods and services (the sum of export and import flows);
- balance of income of compensatory payments to employees;
- balance of income from direct investment abroad and investment from abroad;
- balance of income from portfolio investment in securities and debt obligations;
- balance of payments of the government for taxes from non-residents operating in England, pension and social benefits to its citizens living abroad, and payments to international organizations.
Changes of this indicator have impact on financial markets. Increase in the deficit on Current Account Balance is negative news for the currency.
- Release Frequency: quarterly.
- Release Schedule: 09:30 GMT, at the end of the month following the reporting quarter.
- Source: U.K. Office of National Statistics.